[Python-Dev] 'import as'

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:46:07 +0200

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 11:38:21PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 11:19:42PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
>
> > This also means that a 'global' statement now has effect on objects
> > 'imported from' a module, *except* those imported by '*'.
>
> And while I was checking my documentation patches, I found this:

> Names bound by \keyword{import} statements may not occur in
> \keyword{global} statements in the same scope.
> \stindex{global}

And about five lines lower, I saw this:

(The current implementation does not enforce the latter two
restrictions, but programs should not abuse this freedom, as future
implementations may enforce them or silently change the meaning of the
program.)

My only excuse is that all that TeX stuff confuzzles my eyes ;) In any case,
my point still stands: 1) can we change this behaviour even if it's
documented to be impossible, and 2) should it be documented differently,
allowing mixing of 'global' and 'import' ?

Multip-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>