[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 & Distutils 0.9.1: success

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:34:02 -0400

[oops, screwed up the cc: python-dev when I sent this to Fred.  let's
 try again, shall we?]

Hi Fred --

I went ahead and tried out the current cnri-16-start branch on Solaris
2.6.  (I figured you guys are all using Linux by now, so you might want
to hear back how it works on Solaris.)

In short: no problem!  It built, tested, and installed just fine.

Oops, just noticed that my configure.in fix from late May didn't make
the cut:

  revision 1.124
  date: 2000/05/26 12:22:54;  author: gward;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -2
  When building on Solaris and the compiler is GCC, use '$(CC) -G' to
  create shared extensions rather than 'ld -G'.  This ensures that shared
  extensions link against libgcc.a, in case there are any functions in the
  GCC runtime not already in the Python core.

Oh well.  This means that Robin Dunn's bsddb extension won't work with
Python 1.6 under Solaris.

So then I tried Distutils 0.9.1 with the new build: again, it worked
just fine.  I was able to build and install the Distutils proper, and
then NumPy.  And I made a NumPy source dist.  Looks like it works just
fine, although this is hardly a rigorous test (sigh).

I'd say go ahead and release Distutils 0.9.1 with Python 1.6...

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376