[Python-Dev] xxx.get_fqdn() for the standard lib

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:48:37 +0200

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 11:46:50AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     PS> After sleeping over it, I noticed that at least
>     PS> BaseHTTPServer and ftplib also use a similar
>     PS> algorithm to get a fully qualified domain name.
>
>     PS> Together with smtplib there are four occurences
>     PS> of the algorithm (2 in BaseHTTPServer). I think
>     PS> it would be good not to have four, but one
>     PS> implementation.
>
>     PS> First I thought it could be socket.get_fqdn(),
>     PS> but it seems a bit troublesome to write it in C.
>
>     PS> Should this go somewhere? If yes, where should
>     PS> it go?
>
>     PS> I'll happily prepare a patch as soon as I know
>     PS> where to put it.
>
> I wonder if we should move socket to _socket and write a Python
> wrapper which would basically import * from _socket and add
> make_fqdn().

+1 on that idea, especially since BeOS and Windows (I think ?) already have
that constructions. If we are going to place this make_fqdn() function
anywhere, it should be the socket module or a 'dns' module. (And I mean a
real DNS module, not the low-level wrapper around raw DNS packets that Guido
wrote ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>