[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Doc/api api.tex,1.76,1.77

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:38:55 +0200

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 07:50:23PM -0700, Fred L. Drake wrote:

> In the section on the "Very High Level Layer", address concerns brought up
> by Edward K. Ream <edream@users.sourceforge.net> about FILE* values and
> incompatible C libraries in dynamically linked extensions.  It is not clear
> (to me) how realistic the issue is, but it is better documented than not.

> + Note also that several of these functions take \ctype{FILE*}
> + parameters.  On particular issue which needs to be handled carefully
> + is that the \ctype{FILE} structure for different C libraries can be
> + different and incompatible.  Under Windows (at least), it is possible
> + for dynamically linked extensions to actually use different libraries,
> + so care should be taken that \ctype{FILE*} parameters are only passed
> + to these functions if it is certain that they were created by the same
> + library that the Python runtime is using.

I saw a Jitterbug 'suggestion' bugthread, where Guido ended up liking the
idea of wrapping fopen() and fclose() in the Python library, so that you got
the right FILE structures when linking with another libc/compiler. Whatever
happened to that idea ? Or does it just await implementation ?

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>