[Python-Dev] noreply@sourceforge.net: [Python-bugs-list] [Bug #111620] lots of use of send() without verifyi ng amount of d

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:24:43 +1200 (NZST)

Fredrik Lundh <effbot@telia.com>:

> fwiw, I still haven't found a single reference (SUSv2 spec, man-
> pages, Stevens, the original BSD papers) that says that a blocking
> socket may do anything but sending all the data, or fail.

The Solaris manpage sort of seems to indirectly suggest that
it might conceivabley be possible:

     EMSGSIZE  The socket requires that message  be  sent  atomi-
               cally, and the message was too long.

Which suggests that some types of socket may not require the
message to be sent atomically. (TCP/IP, for example.)