[Python-Dev] parsers and compilers for 2.0

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 19:01:54 -0400

Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>:
> > Last I checked, list comprehensions hadn't been accepted.  I think
> > there's at least one more debate waiting there...
>
> Check again, they're already checked in. The implementation may change
> later, but the syntax has been decided (by Guido):
>
> [(x, y) for y in something for x in somewhere if y in x]

Damn.  That's unfortunate.  With all due respect to the BDFL, I've come
to believe that having special syntax for this (rather than constructor
functions a la zip()) is a bad mistake.  I predict it's going to come
back to bite us hard in the future.
--

I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the
Constitution which grant[s] a right to Congress of expending, on