[Python-Dev] Directions for reproducing the coredump

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 13:53:46 +0200

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 07:34:19AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> But this reminds me.  There's way too much hand-hacking in the Setup
> mechanism.  It wouldn't be hard to enhance the Setup format to support
> #if/#endif so that config.c generation could take advantage of
> configure tests.  That way, Setup could have constructs in it like
> this:

> #if defined(CURSES)
> #if defined(linux)
> _curses _cursesmodule.c -lncurses
> #else
> _curses _cursesmodule.c -lcurses -ltermcap
> #endif
> #endif

Why go through that trouble ? There already is a 'Setup.config' file, which
is used to pass Setup info for the thread and gc modules. It can easily be
extended to include information on all other locatable modules, leaving
'Setup' or 'Setup.local' for people who have their modules in strange
places. What would be a cool idea as well would be a configuration tool. Not
as complex as the linux kernel config tool, but something to help people
select the modules they want. Though it might not be necessary if configure
finds out what modules can be safely built.

I'm willing to write some autoconf tests to locate modules as well, if this
is deemed a good idea.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>