[Python-Dev] 2nd thought: fully qualified host names

Peter Schneider-Kamp nowonder@nowonder.de
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:34:38 +0000

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Oh, I forgot to point out: I have some RFC knowledge, but decided not to use
> it in the case of the HELO message ;) I do have a lot of hands-on experience
> with SMTP, and I know for a fact very little MUA that talk SMTP send a FQDN
> in the HELO message. I think that sending the FQDN when we can (like we do,
> now) is a good idea, but I don't see a reason to force the HELO message to
> be a FQDN.

I don't want to force anything. I think it's time for some
code to speak for itself, rather than me trying to
speak for it <0.8 wink>:

def _get_fqdn_hostname(name):
    name = string.strip(name)
    if len(name) == 0:
        name = socket.gethostname()
    try:
        hostname, aliases, ipaddrs = socket.gethostbyaddr(name)
    except socket.error:
        pass
    else:
        aliases.insert(0, hostname)
        for name in aliases:
            if '.' in name:
                break
        else:
            name = hostname
    return name

This is the same function as the one I checked into
smtplib.py with the exception of executing the try-block
also for names with len(name) != 0.

Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter@schneider-kamp.de