[Python-Dev] 2nd thought: fully qualified host names

Peter Schneider-Kamp nowonder@nowonder.de
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:00:14 +0000

Hi Guido!

After submitting the patch to smtplib, I got a bad feeling
about only trying to get the FQDN for the localhost case.

Shouldn't _get_fdqn_hostname() try to get the FQDN
for every argument passed? Currently it does so only
for len(name) == 0

I think (but couldn't immediately find a reference) it
is required by some RFC. There is at least an internet
draft by the the ietf that says it is required
and a lot of references (mostly from postfix) to some
RFC, too.

Of course, automatically trying to get the fully
qualified domain name would mean that the programmer
looses some flexibility (by loosing responsibility).

If that is a problem I would make _get_fqdn_hostname
a public function (and choose a better name). helo()
and ehlo() could still call it for the local host case.

or-should-I-just-leave-things-as-they-are-ly y'rs
Peter

P.S.: I am cc'ing the list so everyone and Thomas can
      rush in and provide their RFC knowledge.
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter@schneider-kamp.de