[Python-Dev] Adding library modules to the core

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:07:15 -0400

Vladimir Marangozov <Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr>:
> Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> >
> > At the moment, core Python has nothing (with the weak and nonportable
> > exception of open(..., O_EXCL)) that can do semaphores properly.  Thus
> > shm would address a real gap in the language.
>
> There's a Semaphore class in Lib/threading.py. Are there any problems
> with it? I haven't used it, but threading.py has thread mutexes and
> semaphores on top of them, so as long as you don't need IPC, they should
> be fine. Or am I missing something?

If I'm not mistaken, that's semaphores across a thread bundle within
a single process. It's semaphores visible across processes that I
don't think we currently have a facility for.
--

The people cannot delegate to government the power to do anything
which would be unlawful for them to do themselves.