[Python-Dev] Adding library modules to the core

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 08:42:30 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> > PIL,
>
> +0. The main reason I don't compile PIL myself is because it's such a hassle
> to do it each time, so I think adding it would be nice. However, I'm not
> sure if it's doable to add, whether it would present a lot of problems for
> 'strange' platforms and the like.
>
> > and Vladimir's shared-memory module.
>
> +1. Fits very nicely with the mmapmodule, even if it's supported on less
> platforms.
>
> But perhaps all this falls in the 'batteries included' PEP ? Or perhaps a
> new PEP, 'enriching the Standard Library' ?

PIL is definitely in the 206 PEP. The others are not yet there. Please
note that a central database of "useful modules" which are in distutils'
.tar.gz (or maybe .zip, now that Python has zipfile.py") + a simple tool
to download and install. The main reason for the "batteries included"
PEP is reliance on external libraries, which do not mesh as well with
the distutils.

expect-a-change-of-direction-in-the-pep-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.