[Python-Dev] Adding library modules to the core

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:55:14 -0400

Mark Hammond <MarkH@ActiveState.com>:
> For example:
> * How does a "page" concept make sense in a high-res GUI?  Why do we have a
> stack of pages?
> * What is a "viewport height" - is that a measure of pixels?  If not, what
> font are you assuming?  (sorry - obviously rhetorical, given my "text only"
> comments above.)
> * How does a "thumb position" relate to scroll bars that existing GUI
> widgets almost certainly have.

It's not designed for use with graphical browsers.  Here are three contexts
that could use it:

* A menu tree being presented through a window or viewport (this is how it's
  being used now).

* A symbolic debugger that can browse text around a current line.

* A database browser for a sequential record-based file format.
--

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies
to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule--and