dict.setdefault() (Patch#101102) (was: Re: [Python-Dev] Re: A small proposed change to dictionaries' "get" method...)

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 15:08:48 +1200 (NZST)

artcom0!pf@artcom-gmbh.de:
>	dict.setdefault('key', [])
>	dict['key'].append('bar')

I would agree with this more if it said

   dict.setdefault([])
   dict['key'].append('bar')

But I have a problem with all of these proposals: they require
implicitly making a copy of the default value, which violates
the principle that Python never copies anything unless you
tell it to. The default "value" should really be a thunk, not
a value, e.g.

   dict.setdefault(lambda: [])
   dict['key'].append('bar')

or

   dict.get_or_add('key', lambda: []).append('bar')

But I don't really like that, either, because lambdas look
ugly to me, and I don't want to see any more builtin
constructs that more-or-less require their use.

I keep thinking that the solution to this lies somewhere
in the direction of short-circuit evaluation techniques and/or
augmented assignment, but I can't quite see how yet.