[Python-Dev] Adding library modules to the core

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 18:13:02 -0400

A few days ago I asked about the procedure for adding a module to the
Python core library.  I have a framework class for things like menu systems
and symbolic debuggers I'd like to add.

Guido asked if this was similar to the TreeWidget class in IDLE.  I
investigated and discovered that it is not, and told him so.  I am left
with a couple of related questions:

1. Has anybody got a vote on the menubrowser framwork facility I described?

1. Do we have a procedure for vetting modules for inclusion in the stock
distribution?  If not, should be institute one?

2. I am willing to do a pass through the Vaults of Parnassus and other
sources for modules that seem both sufficiently useful and sufficiently
mature to be added.  I have in mind things like mimectl, PIL, and Vladimir's
shared-memory module.

Now, assuming I do 3, would I need to go through the vote process
on each of these, or can I get a ukase from the BDFL authorizing me to
fold in stuff?

I realize I'm raising questions for which there are no easy answers.
But Python is growing.  The Python social machine needs to adapt to
make such decisions in a more timely and less ad-hoc fashion.  I'm not
attached to being the point person in this process, but somebody's gotta be.
--

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there
be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of