[Python-Dev] Re: Python 2.0 and Stackless

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 14:54:56 -0400

Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> writes:
>Just van Rossum <just@letterror.com>:
>> Christian has done an amazing piece of work, and he's gotten much
>> praise from the community. I mean, if you *are* looking for a killer
>> feature to distinguish 1.6 from 2.0, I'd know where to look...
>
>I must say I agree.  Something pretty similar to Stackless Python is
>going to have to happen anyway for the language to make its next major
>advance in capability -- generators, co-routining, and continuations.
>
>I also agree that this is a more important debate, and a harder set of
>decisions, than the PEPs.  Which means we should start paying attention
>to it *now*.

The PEPs exist as a way to formalize important debates and hard decisions.
Without a PEP that offers a formal description of the changes, it is hard to
have a reasonable debate.  I would not be comfortable with the specification
for any feature from stackless being the implementation.

Given the current release schedule for Python 2.0, I don't see any
possibility of getting a PEP accepted in time.  The schedule, from PEP 200,
is:

    Tentative Release Schedule
        Aug. 14: All 2.0 PEPs finished / feature freeze
        Aug. 28: 2.0 beta 1
        Sep. 29: 2.0 final

Jeremy