[Python-Dev] Re: Python 2.0 and Stackless

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:11:21 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Christian Tismer wrote:

> On the other hand, there is no need to enforce every Python
> implementation to do the full continuation support. In CPython,
> continuationmodule.c can be used for such purposes, and it can
> be used as a basement for coroutine and generator implementations.
> Using Guile's way to implement these would be a possible path
> for JPython.

Actually, you can't use Guile's way for JPython -- the guile folks
are doing some low-level semi-portable stuff in C...

> - incorporate Stackless into CPython, but don't demand it
>   for every implementation

Again, I want to say I don't think there's a meaning for "for every
implementation" -- Stackless is not part of the language definiton,
it's part of the implementation. The whole Java/.NET is a red herring.

> - implement coroutines and others with Stackless for CPython

I think that should be done in a third-party module. But hey, if Guido
wants to maintain another module...

> - do *not* make continuations a standard language feature until
>   there is a portable way to get it everywhere

I'd got further and say "do *not* make continuations a standard language
feature" <wink>

> Still, I can't see the point with Java. There are enough
> C extension which are not available for JPython, but it is
> allowed to use them. Same with the continuationmodule, why
> does it need to exist for Java, in order to allow it for
> CPython?

My point exactly.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>