[Python-Dev] Pickling using XML as output format

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 14:20:56 +0200

Before starting to reinvent the wheel:

I need a pickle.py compatible module which essentially works
just like pickle.py, but uses XML as output format. I've already
looked at xml_pickle.py (see Parnassus), but this doesn't seem
to handle object references at all. Also, it depends on
xml.dom which I'd rather avoid.

My idea was to rewrite the format used by pickle in an
XML syntax and then hard-code the DTD into a subclass
of the parser in xmllib.py.

Now, I'm very new to XML, so I may be missing something here...
would this be doable in a fairly sensible way (I'm thinking
of closely sticking to the pickle stream format) ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg