[Python-Dev] UNPACK_LIST & UNPACK_TUPLE

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 17:18:30 +0200

I'm a tad confused about the 'UNPACK_LIST' and 'UNPACK_TUPLE' opcodes. There
doesn't seem to be a difference between the two, yet the way they are
compiled is slightly different (but not much.) I can list all the
differences I can see, but I just don't understand them, and because of that
I'm not sure how to handle them in augmented assignment. UNPACK_LIST just
seems so redundant :)

Wouldn't it make sense to remove the difference between the two, or better
yet, remove UNPACK_LIST (and possibly rename UNPACK_TUPLE to UNPACK_SEQ ?)
We already lost bytecode compability anyway!

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>