[Python-Dev] Buglist

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:14:13 -0400 (EDT)

I am done moving old bugs from Jitterbug to SF.  There are still some
new bugs being submitted to Jitterbug, which I'll need to move one at
a time.

In principle, it's okay to mark bugs as closed, as long as you are
*sure* that the bug has been fixed.  If you try to reproduce a bug on
your system and can't, it's not clear that it has been fixed.  It
might be a platform-specific bug, for example.  I would prefer it if
you only closed bugs where you can point to the CVS checkin that fixed
it.

Whenever you fix a bug, you should add a test case to the regression
test that would have caught the bug.  Have you done that for any of
the bugs you've marked as closed?

You should also add a comment at any bug you're closing explaining why
it is closed.

It is good to assign bugs to people -- probably even if we end up
playing hot potato for a while.  If a bug is assigned to you, you
should either try to fix it, diagnose it, or assign it to someone
else.

> I think overlooking a few bugs is better than overlooking all of
> them because of the size of the list :P

You seem to be arguing that the sheer number of bug reports bothers
you and that it's better to have a shorter list of bugs regardless of
whether they're actually fixed.  Come on! I don't want to overlook any
bugs.

Jeremy