[Python-Dev] printing xrange objects

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:06:51 -0400 (EDT)

  At various points, there have been comments that xrange objects
should not print as lists but as xrange objects.  Taking a look at the
implementation, I noticed that if you call repr() (by name or by
backtick syntax), you get "the right thing"; the list representation
comes up when you print the object on a real file object.  The
tp_print slot of the xrange type produces the list syntax.  There is
no tp_str handler, so str(xrange(...)) is the same as
repr(xrange(...)).
  I propose ripping out the tp_print handler completely.  (And I've
already tested my patch. ;)
  Comments?

  -Fred

--