[Python-Dev] New winreg module really an improvement?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:54:47 -0500

OK.  Fine.  You say your module is great.  The Windows weenies here
don't want to touch it with a ten-foot pole.  I'm not going to be able
to dig all the way to the truth here -- I don't understand the
Registry API at all.

I propose that you and Mark Hammond go off-line and deal with Mark's
criticism one-on-one, and come back with a compromise that you are
both happy with.  I don't care what the compromise is, but both of you
must accept it.

If you *can't* agree, or if I haven't heard from you by the time I'm
ready to release 2.0b1 (say, end of August), winreg.py bites the dust.

I realize that this gives Mark Hammond veto power over the module, but
he's a pretty reasonable guy, *and* he knows the Registry API better
than anyone.  It should be possible for one of you to convince the
other.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)