[Python-Dev] New winreg module really an improvement?

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:07:27 +0200

guido wrote:
> Paul, I think that the best thing to do now is to withdraw winreg.py,
> and to keep (and document!) the _winreg extension with the
> understanding that it's a wrapper around poorly designed API but at
> least it's very close to the C API.  The leading underscore should be
> a hint that this is not a module for every day use.

how about letting _winreg export all functions with their
win32 names, and adding a winreg.py which looks some-
thing like this:

    from _winreg import *

    class Key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT =3D Key(...)

where the Key class addresses the 80% level: open
keys and read NONE/SZ/EXPAND_SZ/DWORD values
(through a slightly extended dictionary API).

in 2.0, add support to create keys and write values of
the same types, and you end up supporting the needs
of 99% of all applications.

> Hopefully someday someone will eventually create a set of higher level
> bindings modeled after the Java, VB or C# version of the API.

how about Tcl?  I'm pretty sure their API (which is very
simple, iirc) addresses the 99% level...

</F>