[Python-Dev] Preventing 1.5 extensions crashing under 1.6/2.0 Python

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:13:31 +1000

> If someone in the core of Python thinks a patch implementing
> what I've outlined is useful please let me know and I will
> generate the patch.

Umm - I'm afraid that I dont keep my python-dev emils for that long, and
right now I'm too lazy/busy to dig around the archives.

Exactly what did you outline?  I know it went around a few times, and I
can't remember who said what.  For my money, I liked Fredrik's solution
best (check Py_IsInitialized() in Py_InitModule4()), but as mentioned that
only solves for the next version of Python; it doesnt solve the fact 1.5
modules will crash under 1.6/2.0

It would definately be excellent to get _something_ in the CNRI 1.6
release, so the BeOpen 2.0 release can see the results.

But-I-doubt-anyone-will-release-extension-modules-for-1.6-anyway ly,

Mark.