[Python-Dev] New winreg module really an improvement?

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 21:08:58 +1000

Just to clarify (or confuse) the issue:

>    When writing an urllib patch recently, winreg seemed OK. Is
> it complete
> enough? Are the things you can't do with it important for its
> role? IMO, if
> winreg can handle the vast majority of cases (say, 98%) then its a useful
> tool and people who need RegSetKeySecurity and similar can go to
> win32api.

Note that Neil was actually using _winreg - the exposure of the raw Win32
API.  Part of my applying the patch was to rename the usage of "winreg" to
"_winreg".

Between the time of you writing the original patch and it being applied,
the old "winreg" module was renamed to "_winreg", and Paul's new
"winreg.py" was added.  The bone of contention is the new "winreg.py"
module, which urllib does _not_ use.

Mark.