[Python-Dev] New winreg module really an improvement?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 04:40:53 -0400

FWIW, I ignored all the winreg modules, and all the debate about them.  Why?
Just because Mark's had been in use for years already, so was already
battle-tested.  There's no chance that any other platform will ever make use
of this module, and given that its appeal is thus solely to Windows users,
it was fine by me if it didn't abstract *anything* away from MS's Win32 API.
MS's APIs are hard enough to understand without somebody else putting their
own layers of confusion <0.9 wink> on top of them.

May as well complain that the SGI-specific cd.open() function warns that if
you pass anything at all to its optional "mode" argument, it had better be
the string "r" (maybe that makes some kind of perverse sense to SGI weenies?
fine by me if so).

So, sorry, but I haven't even looked at Paul's code.  I probably should,
but-- jeez! --there are so many other things that *need* to get done.  I did
look at Mark's (many months ago) as part of helping him reformat it to
Guido's tastes, and all I remember thinking about it then is "yup, looks a
whole lot like the Windows registry API -- when I need it I'll be able to
browse the MS docs lightly and use it straight off -- good!".

So unless Mark went and did something like clean it up <wink>, I still think
it's good.