[Python-Dev] Should repr() of string should observe locale?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 03:57:06 -0400

[Greg Ewing]
> Seems like we need another function that does something in
> between str() and repr(). It would be just like repr() except
> that it wouldn't put escape sequences in strings unless
> absolutely necessary, and it would apply this recursively
> to sub-objects.
>
> Not sure what to call it -- goofy() perhaps :-)

In the previous incarnation of this debate, a related (more str-like than
repr-like) intermediate was named ssctsoos().  Meaning, of course <wink>,
"str() special casing the snot out of strings".  It was purely a hack, and I
was too busy working at Dragon at the time to give it the thought it needed.
Now I'm too busy working at PythonLabs <0.5 wink>.

not-a-priority-ly y'rs  - tim