[Python-Dev] Reordering opcodes (PEP 203 Augmented Assignment)

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:02:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Mark Hammond wrote:
> IDLE and Pythonwin are able to debug arbitary programs once they have
> started - and they are both written in Python.

But only if you start them *in* IDLE or Pythonwin, right?

> * You do not want to debug the IDE itself, just a tiny bit of code running
> under the IDE.  Making the IDE take the full hit simply because it wants to
> run a debugger occasionally isnt fair.

Well, running with trace hooks in place is no different from
the way things run now.

> The end result is that all IDEs will run with debugging enabled.

Right -- that's what currently happens.  I don't see anything wrong
with that.

> * Python often is embedded, for example, in a Web Server, or used for CGI.
> It should be possible to debug these programs directly.

But we don't even have a way to do this now.  Attaching to an
external running process is highly system-dependent trickery.

If printing out tracebacks and other information isn't enough
and you absolutely have to step the program under a debugger,
the customary way of doing this now is to run a non-forking
server under the debugger.  In that case, you just start a
non-forking server under IDLE which sets -g, and you're fine.

Anyway, i suppose this is all rather moot now that Vladimir has a
clever scheme for tracing even without SET_LINENO.  Go Vladimir!
Your last proposal sounded great.

-- ?!ng