[Python-Dev] map() methods (was: Re: [Patches] Review (was: Please review before applying))

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 00:13:51 -0400

> Greg Ewing posted a patch to c.l.py that implemented a good start on the
> proposal.  But nobody has pushed it.  I had hoped to, but ran out of time;
> not sure Guido even knows about Greg's patch.

I vaguely remember, but not really.  We did use his f(*args, **kwargs)
patches as a starting point for a 1.6 feature though -- if the list
comprehensions are in a similar state, they'd be great to start but
definitely need work.

> Perhaps the 1.6 source distribution could contain a new "intriguing
> experimental patches" directory?  Greg's list-comp and Christian's Stackless
> have enough fans that this would probably be appreciated.  Perhaps some
> other things too, if we all run out of time (thinking mostly of Vladimir's
> malloc cleanup and NeilS's gc).

Perhaps a webpage woule make more sense?  There's no point in loading
every download with this.  And e.g. stackless evolves at a much faster
page than core Python.

I definitely want Vladimir's patches in -- I feel very guilty for not
having reviewed his latest proposal yet.  I expect that it's right on
the mark, but I understand if Vladimir wants to wait with preparing
yet another set of patches until I'm happy with the design...