[Python-Dev] Inspiration

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 12:46:29 +0300 (IDT)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> Yet another numeric format? eek. If anything, we should be dropping octal,
> rather than adding binary.
>
> You want binary? Just use int("10010", 2). No need for more syntax.

Damn, but you're right.

> Most of the need for weak refs would disappear with some simple form of GC
> installed. And it seems we'll have that by 1.7.

Disagree. Think "destructors": with weak references, there's no problems:
the referant dies first, and if later, the referer needs the referant
to die, well, he'll get a "DeletionError: this object does not exist
anymore" in his face, which is alright, because a weak referant should
not trust the reference to live.

90%-of-the-cyclic-__del__-full-trash-problem-would-go-away-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html