[Python-Dev] Re: marking shared-ness

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:02:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > It is more than this. In my last shot at this, pystone ran about half as
> > fast. There are a few things that will be different this time around, but
> > it certainly won't in the "few percent" range.
>
> Interesting thought: according to patches recently posted to
> patches@python.org (but not yet vetted), "turning on" threads on Win32
> in regular Python also slows down Pystone considerably.  Maybe it's
> not so bad?  Maybe those patches contain a hint of what we could do?

I think that my tests were threaded vs. free-threaded. It has been so long
ago, though... :-)

Yes, we'll get those patches reviewed and installed. That will at least
help the standard threading case. With more discrete locks (e.g. one per
object or one per code section), then we will reduce lock contention.
Working on improving the lock mechanism itself and the INCREF/DECREF
system will help, too.

But this initial thread was to seek people to assist with some coding to
get stuff into 1.6. The heavy lifting will certainly be after 1.6, but we
can get some good stuff in *today*. We'll examine performance later on,
then start improving it.

Cheers,
-g

--