[Thread-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: marking shared-ness

Milton L. Hankins mlh@swl.msd.ray.com
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:36:40 -0400

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Christian Tismer wrote:

> Are you shure that every thread user shares your opinion?
> I see many people using threads just in order to have
> multiple tasks in parallel, with none or quite few shared
> variables.

About the only time I use threads is when
  1) I'm doing something asynchronous in an event loop-driven paradigm
     (such as Tkinter) or
  2) I'm trying to emulate fork() under win32

> Since Python has nothing really private, this implies in
> fact to protect every single object for free threading,
> although nobody wants this in the first place to happen.

How does Java solve this problem?  (Is this analagous to native vs. green
threads?)

> Python is not designed for that. Why do you want to enforce
> the impossible, letting every object pay a high penalty
> to become completely thread-safe?

Hmm, how about declaring only certain builtins as free-thread safe?  Or is
"the impossible" necessary because of the nature of incref/decref?

--
              Milton L. Hankins              ::  ><> Ephesians 5:2 ><>
Software Engineer, Raytheon Systems Company  ::  <mlh@swl.msd.ray.com>