[Python-Dev] Object customization (was: Arbitrary attributes on funcs and methods)

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 03:34:46 -0400

[Tim]
>> I expect that they'll expect exactly what happens in JavaScript, which
>> supports function attributes too, and where it's often used as a
>> nicer-than-globals way to get the effect of C-like mutable statics
>> (conceptually) local to the function.

[/F]
> so it's no longer an experimental feature, it's a "static variables"
> thing?

Yes, of course people will use it to get the effect of function statics.  OK
by me.  People do the same thing today with class data attributes (i.e., to
get the effect of mutable statics w/o polluting the module namespace).
They'll use it for all sorts of other stuff too -- it's mechanism, not
policy.

BTW, I don't think any "experimental feature" has ever been removed -- only
features that weren't experimental.  So if you want to see it go away ...

> umm.   I had nearly changed my mind to a "okay, if you insist +1",
> but now it's back to -1 again.  maybe in Py3K...

Greg gave the voting rule as:

>    -1  "Veto. And <HERE> is my reasoning."

Vladimir has done some reasoning, but the basis of your objection remains a
mystery.  We should be encouraging our youth to submit patches with their
crazy ideas <wink>.