[Python-Dev] #pragmas in Python source code

Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:16:55 -0500 (CDT)

    Marc> Skip Montanaro wrote:
    >> Minor nit...  How about we lose the "#" during these discussions so
    >> we aren't all subliminally disposed to embed pragmas in comments or
    >> to add the C preprocessor to Python? ;-)

    Marc> Hmm, anything else would introduce a new keyword, I guess. And new
    Marc> keywords cause new scripts to fail in old interpreters even when
    Marc> they don't use Unicode at all and only include <whatever the name
    Marc> is> per convention.

My point was only that using "#pragma" (or even "pragma") sort of implies we
have our eye on a solution, but I don't think we're far enough down the path
of answering what we want to have any concrete ideas about how to implement
it.

I think this thread started (more-or-less) when Guido posted an idea that
originally surfaced on the idle-dev list about using "global ..." to
implement functionality like this.  It's not clear to me at this point what
the best course might be.

Skip