[Python-Dev] #pragmas in Python source code

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:10:30 +0200 (IST)

[Ping]
> But you're right, i've never heard of another language that can handle
> configurable encodings right in the source code.

[The eff-bot]
> XML?

[Ping]
> Don't get me started.  XML is not a language.  It's a serialization
> format for trees (isomorphic to s-expressions, but five times more
> verbose).  It has no semantics.  Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise
> is probably a marketing drone or has been brainwashed by the buzzword
> brigade.

Of coursem but "everything is a tree". If you put Python in XML by having
the parse-tree serialized, then you can handle any encoding in the source
file, by snarfing it from XML.

not-in-favour-of-Python-in-XML-but-this-is-sure-to-encourage-Greg-Wilson-ly
y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html