[Python-Dev] How *does* Python determine sys.prefix?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:34:04 -0400 (EDT)

    GW> Ooh, here's a yucky problem.  Last night, I installed Oliver
    GW> Andrich's Python 1.5.2 RPM on my Linux box at home, so now I
    GW> have two Python installations there:

Greg, I don't know why it's finding the wrong landmark.  Perhaps the
first test for running out of the build directory is tripping up?
What happens if you remove /usr/lib/python$VERSION/string.py?

If possible you should step through calculate_path() in getpath.c --
this implements the search through the file system for the landmarks.

-Barry