[Python-Dev] httplib again (was: Getting ready for 1.6 alpha 2)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:20:31 -0400

> > > Jeremy reminded me that my new httplib.py is still pending integration.
> >
> > There will be another alpha release after I'm back -- I think this
> > isn't that urgent.
>
> True, but depending on location, it also has zero impact on the release.
> In other words: added functionality for testing, with no potential for
> breakage.

You're just asking for exposure.  But unless it's installed as
httplib.py, it won't get much more exposure than if you put it on your
website and post an announcement to c.l.py, I bet.

> > (Plus, just because you're you, you'd have to mail
> > me a wet signature. :-)
>
> You've got one on file already :-)
>
> [ I sent it back in December; was it misplaced, and I need to resend? ]

I was just teasing.  Our lawyer believes that you cannot send in a
signature for code that you will contribute in the future; but I
really don't care enough to force you to send another one...

> > I am opposed to a net.* package until the reorganization discussion
> > has resulted in a solid design.
>
> Not a problem. Mine easily replaces httplib.py in its current location. It
> is entirely backwards compat. A new class is used to get the new
> functionality, and a compat "HTTP" class is provided (leveraging the new
> HTTPConnection class).

I thought you said there was some additional work on compat changes?
I quote:

| 2) httplib.py will remain in the same place, so the compat changes must
|    happen first.

Oh well, send it to Jeremy and he'll check it in if it's ready.  But
not without a test suite and documentation.