[Python-Dev] str() for interpreter output

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 00:39:17 -0400

[Guido]
> We still have a dilemma though...  People using the interactive
> interpreter to perform some specific task (e.g. NumPy users), rather
> than to learn about Python, want str(), and actually I agree with them
> there.

And if they're using something fancier than NumPy arrays, they want str() to
get passed down from containers to containees too.

BTW, boosting the number of digits repr displays is likely to make NumPy
users even unhappier so long as repr() is used at the prompt (they'll be
very happy to be able to transport doubles exactly across machines via
repr(), but won't want to see all the noise digits all the time).

> How can we give everybody what they want?

More than one display function, user-definable and user-settable, + a change
in the default setting.