[Python-Dev] Re: unicode: strange exception

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 00:51:51 +0200

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or charbuffer
>
> now that's an interesting error message.  I think the old one
> was better ;-)

How come you're always faster on this than I am with
my patches ;-)

The above is already fixed in my local version (together with
some other minor stuff I found in the codec error handling) with
the next patch set.

It will then again produce this output:

>>> None in "abc"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: string member test needs char left operand

BTW, my little "don't use tabs use spaces" in C code extravaganza
was a complete nightmare... diff just doesn't like it and the
Python source code is full of places where tabs and spaces
are mixed in many different ways... I'm back to tabs-indent-mode
again :-/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg