[Python-Dev] DLL in the system directory on Windows.

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:57:33 -0400

[Mark Hammond]
> However, I would tend to go for "\name_of_app" rooted from the
> Windows drive.  It is likely that this will be the default drive
> when a command prompt is open, so a simple "cd \python1.6" will
> work.  This is also generally the same drive the default "Program
> Files" is on too.

Yes, "C:\" doesn't literally mean "C:\" any more than "Program Files"
literally means "Program Files" <0.1 wink>.  By "C:\" I meant "drive where
the thing we conveniently but naively call 'Program Files' lives"; naming
the registry key whose value is this thing is more accurate but less
helpful; the installer will have some magic predefined name which would be
most helpful to give, but without the installer docs here I can't guess what
that is.

> [Interestingly, Windows 2000 has a system process that continually
> monitors the system directory.  If it detects that a "protected
> file" has been changed, it promptly copies the original back over
> the top!  I believe the MSVC*.dlls are in the protected list, so can
> only be changed with a service pack release anyway.  Everything
> _looks_ like it updates - Windows just copies it back!]

Thanks for making my day <wink>.