[Python-Dev] DLL in the system directory on Windows.

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:57:27 -0400

[Guido]
> (PATH on Win9x is still a mystery to me.

You're not alone.

> Is it really true that in order to change PATH an installer has
> to edit autoexec.bat?

AFAIK, yes.  A specific PATH setting can be associated with a specific exe
via the registry, though.

> Anything that claims to change PATH for me doesn't seem to do so.

Almost always the same here; suspect documentation rot.

> Could I have screwed something up?

Yes, but I doubt it.

> Didn't someone tell me that at least on Windows 2000 installing
> app-specific files (as opposed to MS-provided files) in the system
> directory is a no-no?

MS was threatening to do this in (the then-named) NT5, but I believe they
backed down.   Don't have (the now-named) W2000 here to check on for sure,
though.