[Python-Dev] a slightly more coherent case

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:46:34 -0400

Greg Wilson wrote:

> I wouldn't expect the division sign to be on keyboards. On the other hand,
> I would expect that having to type a two-stroke sequence every once in a
> while would help native English speakers appreciate what people in other
> countries sometimes have to go through in order to spell their names
> correctly...

Certain stuffy (and now deceased) members of my family,
despite emigrating to the Americas during the Industrial
Revolution, insisted that the proper spelling of McMillan
involved elevating the "c". Wonder if there's a unicode
character for that, so I can get righteously indignant whenever
people fail to use it.

Personally, I'm delighted when people don't add extra letters
to my name, and even that's pretty silly, since all the
variations on M*M*ll*n come down to how some government
clerk chose to spell it.

- Gordon