[Python-Dev] re: division

gvwilson@nevex.com gvwilson@nevex.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:20:22 -0400 (EDT)

> Assuming you're proposing something like this:
>
>    .
>   ---
>    .
>
> I'm not so sure that choosing a non-ASCII symbol is going to work. For
> starters, it's on very few keyboards, and that won't change soon!

I realize that, but neither are many of the accented characters used in
non-English names (said the Canadian).  If we assume 18-24 months until
P3K, will it be safe to assume support for non-7-bit characters, or will
we continue to be constrained by what was available on PDP-11's in 1975?

(BTW, I think '/' vs. '//' is going to be as error-prone as '=' vs. '==',
but harder to track down, since you'll have to scrutinize values very
carefully to spot the difference.  Haven't done any field tests,
though...)

Greg