[Python-Dev] Windows installer pre-prelease

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:31:42 +0200

Greg Stein wrote:
> > we install our python distribution under the \py<version>,
> > and we get lot of positive responses.  as far as I remember,
> > nobody has ever reported problems setting up the path...
>=20
> *shrug*  This doesn't dispute the standard Windows recommendation to
> install software into Program Files.

no, but Tim's and my experiences from doing user support show that
the standard Windows recommendation doesn't work for command line
applications.  we don't care about Microsoft, we care about Python's
users.

to quote a Linus Torvalds, "bad standards _should_ be broken"

(after all, Microsoft doesn't put their own command line applications
down there -- there's no "\Program Files" [sub]directory in the default
PATH, at least not on any of my boxes.  maybe they've changed that
in Windows 2000?)

</F>