[Python-Dev] SRE: regex.set_syntax

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 10:37:11 +0200

one of my side projects for SRE is to create a regex-compatible
frontend.  since both engines have NFA semantics, this mostly
involves writing an alternate parser.

however, when I started playing with that, I completely forgot
about the regex.set_syntax() function.  supporting one extra
syntax isn't that much work, but a whole bunch of them?

so what should we do?

1. completely get rid of regex (bjorn would love that,
   don't you think?)

2. remove regex.set_syntax(), and tell people who've
   used it that they're SOL.

3. add all the necessary flags to the new parser...

4. keep regex around as before, and live with the
   extra code bloat.

comments?

</F>