[Python-Dev] Towards a Python based import scheme

Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:54:39 -0500 (CDT)

    Jim> As a result of all this import discussion I am a bit worried that
    Jim> the python library *.pyl file format may not be powerful enough.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I want to remind the folks having this
discussion that there are people reading this thread that while fairly well
versed in Python have little idea what anyone is talking about anymore.  (I
don't know.  Maybe I'm the only one.)

python-dev is clearly the best place to discuss this in the short-term
(anyone for an import SIG?), but whatever is implemented will have to be
understood by lots of people on c.l.py to be of broad applicability.
Perhaps I'm way off base and there are more than a handful of people who
will ever run into the problems being solved here, but if we can partition
the Python programming community into the package wizards and the mere
import mortals, I worry that the potions concocted by the wizards will send
a few of us import mortals to the hospital...

The Java package scheme, while odious to some perhaps, is extremely easy to
understand for anyone who's ever used Windows Explorer or execute "ls -R".

just-a-cautionary-peanut-thrown-in-from-the-bleachers-ly y'rs

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...