[Python-Dev] Memory usage in Python

Ivan Porres iporres@abo.fi
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:54:36 +0300

Dear all,

I've been reading this list for a while but this is the first time I
post a message. I am interested on using Python as a scripting
language for small embedded systems. One of the limiting factors on a
embedded system is the memory. Memory cost money, uses space and
drains power.

We have released a big patch to selectively disable some features of a
Python interpreter at compile time. With the patch, it is possible to
disable, i.e., complex numbers or file objects, in order to reduce
the memory foot print of the Python interpreter. The patch is
available at http://www.abo.fi/~iporres/python

Now, I am interested on studying and reducing the memory consumption of
Python programs. That is all the memory allocated by the interpreter
in order to run a python program. I would like to know if somebody
else has been working on the same direction. Is there any document
explaining how Python uses the memory? I would be nice to know which
structures are most used, their size, how often are accessed,
etc...

I have the impression that most people is concerned about optimising
Python for speed, but I still think that some Python users will
also benefit from size optimisations.

Ivan

--
Ivan Porres Paltor                    Turku Centre for Computer Science
Åbo Akademi, Department of Computer Science  Phone: +358-2-2154033