[Python-Dev] Unicode Proposal: Version 0.8

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 03:40:16 -0800 (PST)

--- Mark Hammond <mhammond@skippinet.com.au> wrote:
> > Pretty quiet around here lately...
>
> My guess is that most positions and opinions have
> been covered.  It is
> now probably time for less talk, and more code!
>
> It is time to start an implementation plan?  Do we
> start with /F's
> Unicode implementation (which /G *smirk* seemed to
> approve of)?  Who
> does what?  When can we start to play with it?
>
> And a key point that seems to have been thrust in
> our faces at the
> start and hardly mentioned recently - does the
> proposal as it stands
> meet our sponsor's (HP) requirements?
>
> Mark.

I had a long chat with them on Friday :-)  They want
it done, but nobody is actively working on it now as
far as I can tell, and they are very busy.

The per-thread thing was a red herring - they just
want to be able to do (for example) web servers
handling different encodings from a central unicode
database, so per-output-stream works just fine.

They will be at IPC8; I'd suggest that a round of
prototyping, we insist they read it and then discuss
it at IPC8, and be prepared to rework things
thereafter are important.  Hopefully then we'll have a
plan on how to tackle the much larger (but less
interesting to python-dev) job of writing and
verifying all the codecs and utilities.

Andy Robinson

=====
Andy Robinson