[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS log messages with diffs

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:45:14 -0500 (EST)

    GS> I've been using diffs-in-checkin for review, rather than to
    GS> keep a local snapshot updated.

Interesting; I hadn't though about this use for the diffs.

    GS> I've attached an archive of the files that I use in my CVS
    GS> repository to do emailed diffs. These came from Ken Coar (an
    GS> Apache guy) as an extraction from the Apache repository. Yes,
    GS> they do use Perl. I'm not a Perl guy, so I probably would
    GS> break things if I tried to "fix" the scripts by converting
    GS> them to Python (in fact, Greg Ward helped to improve
    GS> log_accum.pl for me!). I certainly would not be adverse to
    GS> Python versions of these files, or other cleanups.

Well, we all know Greg Ward's one of those subversive types, but then
again it's great to have (hopefully now-loyal) defectors in our camp,
just to keep us honest :)

Anyway, thanks for sending the code, it'll come in handy if I get
stuck.  Of course, my P**l skills are so rusted I don't think even an
oilcan-armed Dorothy could lube 'em up, so I'm not sure how much use I
can put them to.  Besides, I already have a huge kludge that gets run
on each commit, and I don't think it'll be too hard to add diff
generation... IF the informal vote goes that way.

-Barry