[Python-Dev] Unicode Proposal: Version 0.7

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:09:46 -0600 (CST)

I haven't been following this discussion closely at all, and have no
previous experience with Unicode, so please pardon a couple stupid questions
from the peanut gallery:

    1. What does U+0061 mean (other than 'a')?  That is, what is U?

    2. I saw nothing about encodings in the Codec/StreamReader/StreamWriter
       description.  Given a Unicode object with encoding e1, how do I write
       it to a file that is to be encoded with encoding e2?  Seems like I
       would do something like

           u1 = unicode(s, encoding=e1)
	   f = open("somefile", "wb")
	   u2 = unicode(u1, encoding=e2)
	   f.write(u2)

       Is that how it would be done?  Does this question even make sense?

    3. What will the impact be on programmers such as myself currently
       living with blinders on (that is, writing in plain old 7-bit ASCII)?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...