[Python-Dev] Codecs and StreamCodecs

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 21:57:44 +1100

[Guido]
> > (But weren't we going to do away with the whole registry
> > idea in favor of an encodings package?)

[MAL]
> One way or another, the Unicode implementation will have to
> access a dictionary containing references to the codecs for
> a particular encoding. You won't get around registering these
> at some point... be it in a lazy way, on-the-fly or by some
> other means.

What is wrong with my idea of using well-known-names from the encoding
module?  The dict then is "encodings.<encoding-name>.__dict__".  All
encodings "just work" because the leverage from the Python module
system.  Unless Im missing something, there is no need for any extra
registry at all.  I guess it would actually resolve to 2 dict lookups,
but thats OK surely?

Mark.